Monday 4 June 2007

Coloursfest Coma



Today (meaning Sunday, not Monday) I woke up at 15:20. I'm still in a sort of coma from last night - went to sleep at 7am, after jumping like a maniac to trance and techno sets all night. Why? One word: Coloursfest 2007!

I should have written this entry right after I got home from Braehead (the event was there) to convey all the energy and good vibes, but I was just way too dead for that. So I must try to boost up my energies now in the middle of Sunday/Monday night (my sleeping pattern is so messed, I know) and recall last night's vibes.

Coloursfest is an annual massive dance (or club, or rave, whatever you want to call it) event with six different arenas and loads of DJs, among them a few big names. Yesterday's line-up had names like Judge Jules, Ferry Corsten, Marco V and Guy Ornadel (plus Lisa Pin-Up on the hard trance field which I personally don't fancy that much). So a lot to look forward to!

The event started at 6pm and continued all night until 4am. I didn't bounce like a madman all that time, but almost ;) Thanks to Marco V and Judge Jules for my aching feet! Why did they have to play so good sets! Especially Marco V kicked ass, excellent tunes.


Marco V in charge!

Ah, what can I say. There were as many plusses as there were minuses. The event was massive in the Finnish scale but here just about average (10 000 clubbers). I had fun even though I was all alone - better alone than with company who don't appreciate the music (no pun intended). There were too many of those though. For Glaswegian girls the main point seems (seemed?) to be just to show up in the most ultimate hardcore clubwear you can find in stores, pose around, dance a bit but not too much to mess up the make up, take a few E's and enjoy the private trip. And for men, take out the hardcore clothes but add a couple of beers to enhance the out-of-this-world effect and to make them look and act like total idiots. Compared to Finland's club scene, THERE WERE FAR TOO MANY NEDS!!!! In Finnish I'd say that aivan liikaa kuosaajia ja känniääliöitä! And far too few people actually DANCING and not just drinking and posing and talking and shouting their stupid 'Play-play-play-the-fuckin-song!' anthem all the frigging time!

As for the drug factor - as we know, in UK nightlife ecstacy is almost as commonly used as alcohol. The good thing about E is the fact that it doesn't make people aggressive but instead transform them into happy all-loving fools. I didn't witness any fights last night, actually I've never witnessed any fights during the five years I've gone clubbing. However, yesterday I witnessed not only some spontaneous commonplace barfing but also a total ÖVERIT, what do they call that in English? Almost OD, overdose, a bit too high on a bit too shitty stuff. Mervi suggested 'shitfaced'. Anyway, I was dancing to Marco V at about 2am when suddenly a girl lurches past me with a college shirt over her head, trying to take it off, failing, stumbling and whirling around for a while. Then she fell on the ground and started swaying her head like a mental case. Luckily, people noticed immediately and took her to first aid. I've never seen anyone in such a state in Finnish parties. And I hope I won't come to see that.

Pics speak for..... yes, you have heard me say that million times. So here's a pic sampler from last night, again:


Not so crowded yet. This pic was taken around 10pm in the main arena.




...but it really got packed, as you can see!


I was there too!


The visuals were amazing.


There were some cool rides as well, with trance as background music of course ;) It was like a miniature Godskitchen Global Gathering where I was with Riikka in 2002.


I was at the main arena most of the tme, but made short excursions to the house/electro tent and hard trance arena. This is from Tidy - it was so humid inside the tent that water condensed on the ceiling and dripped on people. This was the place with the best atmosphere actually. All people just jumped to the music like complete nutters.


Cool visuals, again.


In this pic you can spot some skanky clubwear on girls.

As for clothing, I was going to wear my fluffy legwarmers as well, but decided to go in black military style trousers instead for safety's sake - I might have stood out from the crowd a bit too much with a mini skirt and fluffy legwarmers on my way home at 5am. Anyway, I should have worn those. As I got to the site I felt like a male, being one of the about 5 girls in 10 000 wearing long trousers. Believe it or not, 99% of the girls looked like this, with even more make up, fluff and UV paint all over their bodies - and I really appreciate all that effort, better so than in normal jeans! What's funny though is that most men were wearing just ordinary uncool clothes, pässinpökkimiä teepaitoja ja rumia farkkuja. Not even cool street wear like in Finland, but really ugly normal clothes.


Judge Jules in charge of the last 2 hours. Amazing, amazing, amazing.

Summa summarum, totally worth the 45 quid but the neds could have stayed at home. And Glaswegian clubbers should learn to dance.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Voi voi, tekis mieli munkin jonnekki tollasiin!

caitrin said...

Thanks Mervi (and the ultimate thanks to Vessa Käteismies). That might be the best translation. And Riikka, I've been planning an excursion to some massive dance festival for next summer (or if I've got spare cash, for this sumer as well :D ). Such as: Global Gathering, Creamfields or Sensation White (which sold out in 2 hours this year - imagine, about 100 000 tickets!). Feel free to join the festivities ;)