Sunday 7 January 2007

Ceilidh and a Terrible Morkkis afterwards

I advised you to check back here if you want to know what ceilidh means. Well, it means LOADS of FUN! :) There were people from all over the world at the student nightclub on campus dancing traditional Celtic folk dances. First a five-minute practise, and then one two three four, and here we go. So ceilidh is about dancing to cheerful Scottish tunes, sweating like a pig, and naturally, drinking like a fish. And staying up until 5 o'clock, and having this terrible "morkkis" afterwards for getting way too wasted. Or PISHED, as they say here. Or piiissed, as they say in Australia. Sanotaan, että oli perse tukevasti olalla. Oh gosh. And I was supposed to study hard today, and buy a better pillow and a large bath towel from the centre. Oh, well. If I have to name one thing that sucks about Glasgow, it's that all the freaking shops close at 6PM every single day. Don't they have any business sense? People have just got home from work at six o'clock, but there's nowhere to go, since the whole fucking city is closed, sorry! Today shops closed as early as 5PM.
Well, at least I learned new idioms last night, so it wasn't all about pouring wine down my throat ;) In order to be a good student and practise one of these idioms, let's say that I didn't have a shit show in hell to wake up early, study hard and go to the city centre today. There. That's New Zealand English. Now I feel better. I'm not all that lazy. I have learned something.

No comments: